- Level: Master
- Duration: 9 months
- Cost: € 28,000
- Language: English
Both creative and practical, this course will provide an in-depth study of production techniques and materials, merchandising strategy and collection planning – all to form the accessory designers of the future (leather goods and small leather goods) with a strong and forward-thinking creative direction.
Today more than ever the accessory has gone beyond its complementary function to become a true object of desire, with the power of driving and even determining a brand’s success. Quality, craftsmanship and design form the identity of this manufacturing sector, requiring highly specialized profiles capable of reinterpreting and translating the know-how and heritage of Made in Italy into new global scenarios.
The course includes master classes, workshops and a brand-specific project in collaboration with the fashion house, as well as visits to sites and production plants in the Florentine area. Lectures will be held by industry professionals with a practical and in-depth knowledge of the sector and will be integrated with guest lectures by international figures. During the 9 months, students will develop a collection project to be presented as both the Mid-term (capsule collection) and Final Project (main collection), valid as a personal portfolio.
Lessons take place from January to September and amount to a total of 700 contact hours. Thereafter, there is the possibility of completing the course with an industry internship leading to the overall obtainment of 80 credits. English language proficiency and attendance are required. Candidates with a secondary school (high school) diploma or equivalent are eligible and selected after the admission process. Additional prerequisites include previous studies in areas related to Fashion Design and Accessories Design or professional experience in the business.
Upon completion of the Master students will be automatically given the possibility to partake in the Polimoda Talent program.
The Master in Bag Design will take form in the following thematic modules:
- Lab & Design: Accessories Design; Creative Prototyping; Patternmaking; Artisan Techniques; Fashion Coordination.
- Cultural: Contemporary Fashion; Fashion Research; Leather Research.
- Graphics: Fashion Illustration; Fashion Portfolio; 3D modelling.
- Business: Fashion Brand Management; Merchandising Management.
Upon successful completion of the master course, students will be able to:
- Develop a research methodology, envision and produce creative content that informs their creative design and aesthetic point of view.
- Prototype all design ideas through different means, materials and techniques, both artisanal and industrial.
- Create and develop complex patterns, including crafting techniques on leather, fabric, accessories and construction elements.
- Expand the knowledge of technical productive aspects in the bags and accessories pipeline.
- Create a professional portfolio that fully represents the individual characteristics and identity of the designer.
Founded in Rome in 1960, Maison Valentino ranks as one of the highest forms of couture excellence and savoir-faire.
In recent years, the company has undergone an extensive process of modernizing and redefining the brand’s aesthetic, centering accessories at the core of the process. In this significant brand evolution, heritage and style coexist in a new vision for the future.