- Level: Master
- Duration: 9 months
- Cost: € 28,000
- Language: English
This course will also provide an in-depth study of production techniques and materials, trend forecasting, merchandising strategy and collection planning, forming the knitwear designers of the future with strong and forward-thinking creative direction.
Throughout the 9 month program, students will develop a collection project, to be presented as both the midterm (capsule collection) and the final project (main collection), equally valid as a personal portfolio. Furthermore, a brand-specific project will be developed in collaboration with Missoni.
During the Master, Missoni will host students in their headquarters, located in Sumirago (VA), for field experience. The students will understand how collections are conceived and will have the opportunity to join Missoni’s design team and work with in-house production.
This intensive specialization program is taught by resident teachers from the industry and international guests. It also features field trips to production sites renowned for yarns, material transformations and finished products.
Lessons take place from January to September and amount to a total of 700 contact hours. Thereafter, there is the possibility of completing the course with an industry internship leading to the overall obtainment of 80 credits. English language proficiency and attendance are required. Candidates are eligible and selected after the admission process. . Additional prerequisites include previous studies in areas related to Fashion Design with previous courses in Knitwear or professional experience in the business.
Upon completion of the Master, students will be automatically given the possibility to partake in the Polimoda Talent program.
The Master’s in Knitwear Design will take form in the following thematic modules:
- Laboratories: Knitwear Design 1 (basic), Knitwear Design 2 (advanced), Creative Prototyping, Patternmaking, Knit and Textile Manipulation, Embroidery.
- Cultural: Contemporary Fashion, Trend Research, Merchandising and Collection Planning.
- Technical: Fashion Illustration, Technical Sheets and Cost Management, Basics of Programming for Electronic Machines, Fashion Portfolio.
Upon successful completion of the master course, students will be able to:
- Formalize a personal research methodology, envision and produce creative content that informs their own creative design and expresses their design identity.
- Be technically prepared for designing in the knitwear sector.
- Develop merchandising plans and further explore the viability of their designs through different products within the knitwear range.
- Manage all strategic levers including pricing, positioning, range, targeting and communication.
- Work within a brand’s or brief’s framework.
- Create a professional portfolio that fully represents the individual characteristics and identity of the designer.
Tied to the aesthetic innovation and technical invention that changed the identity of knitwear, Missoni is one of the most recognized fashion and design brands in the world. Missoni style is the result of a partnership between two people. In 1953, Ottavio and Rosita decided to set up a knitwear business in the sixties.
Missoni inaugurated an unmistakable way of dressing and living: with a colorful “put-together” of zigzag motifs, stripes, waves and slub yarns in a patchwork of geometric and floral jacquard. Their children Vittorio, Luca and Angela grew up in direct contact with their parents’ work and eventually took on roles within the brand.
Missoni is a representation of Italian fashion and design excellence around the world. With its pioneering multicolored aesthetic vision, it continues to influence the contemporary lifestyle with the Missoni Home line.